Thursday, July 9, 2009

Stealing From My Livejournal Part XXIV

As I use my livejournal for little else except for movie rants and decided to switch over here, I thought I'd recruit some older posts so as to show a history. I'll bother with new ones as they come to me.



From January 23, 2009:

"Okay, so, I haven't seen all the films from 2008 (obviously) and I haven't even seen all the big name films. But I wanted to do this now anyway. I've been considering my list for a long while and I think I've finally come up with a proper top ten. I can't think of an order though so you're just going to get my top ten in alphabetical order. There were other good films, other great films either, and plenty of films I haven't had a chance to see yet and therefore have not made my list. But, anyway, enough of my blabbering, here's the list:

The Dark Knight
Frost/Nixon
In Bruges
Iron Man
Man on Wire
Milk
Rachel Getting Married
Slumdog Millionaire
The Visitor
Wall-E

I also admit that unlike a lot of critics, I really liked Australia. If I had seen Waltz with Bashir yet I'd probably add it to this list, but I haven't. Role Models and Tropic Thunder were my favourite straight out comedies of the year, but I can't say I liked either of them as much as the ten on this list. I also liked Oscar-bait The Reader, Revolutionary Road, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, but not nearly as much as these ten. To round out the other contenders I was considering, The Wrestler, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days, and Wendy and Lucy were movies I considered. Oh and there are two extra honourable mentions of movies I saw at Woodstock that haven't been released yet so far as I know: Gospel Hill and The Prince of Broadway. I was SO SAD to be torn away from watching the latter to do actual volunteer work. (I also saw Wendy and Lucy at Woodstock, but that has been released some places, and will be here before long, also it was screened at my school since Kelly Reichardt is a professor at Bard, so it wasn't difficult for me to catch.)

Anyway, there you go. There's my unpolished movie-fanatic opinion. Wonderful, isn't it?

(note how I snubbed two Best Pic noms. SHAME I DON'T HOLD THE WEIGHT OF THE ACADEMY.)"

No comments:

Post a Comment