Thursday, July 9, 2009

Stealing From My Livejournal Part VI

As I use my livejournal for little else except for movie rants and decided to switch over here, I thought I'd recruit some older posts so as to show a history. I'll bother with new ones as they come to me.



From July 12, 2008:

"As a film nerd, I was excited to read in Entertainment Weekly (and everyone else who is talking about The Dark Knight and Heath Ledger) that I wasn't the only person in the midst of summer blockbuster season to be looking towards the Oscars. After seeing Wall-E, which is at least one of the best, if not the best, Disney/Pixar film (and I agree with anyone pushing for a Best Picture nom rather than just an Animated Picture nom (or more likely, win)), and after hearing all the buzz about The Dark Knight, I've just been waiting for February to get here already.

I rely on my brother's subscription to Entertainment Weekly as my portal into the media and the film industry (aside from my online escapades), and so was extremely glad to see when they spoke of the few contenders for Oscars thus far this year, to see at least a passing mention for Richard Jenkins in The Visitor. This got me to thinking, of all the films already out there, what films are good contenders? And today, I remembered another early contender, In Bruges. In January/February/March, you don't expect many, if any, good films to come out, but I remember seeing that in theatres back when it came out and it was excellent. I think that it should definitely be included on any list of good movies of 2008 so far. The Visitor is the tiny indie film of the year, except that it has much more indie cred than that fucker Juno ever had imo, and I hope that it doesn't get ignored. Everything about that film was excellent.

Another film that came out in the off-season was the surprise Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. Not the best movie I've ever seen, hardly, but it was adorable in its own right. Amy Adams and Frances McDormand were great in it, to say the least, and it was certainly a visually pleasing movie. It was a genuinely sweet film but in the best way possible, and although not in the same caliber as The Visitor or In Bruges, also good.

Now, these aren't my votes for Best Picture; I'm still waiting to see some Best Picture qualifiers aside from Wall-E (which is a tough competitor because not only is it a Disney/Pixar film, which speaks for itself as a brilliant animated feature film, but also, I think, the best film of the year thus far). But I do think The Visitor and In Bruges should not be forgotten when critics start to reflect on the year come fall and columnists start making Oscars guesses. I wouldn't be shocked that, if the fall lacks some proper Oscar contenders, The Dark Knight or Iron Man might take a stab at more notable noms than the special effects departments.

Also, because I like to think of the less dramatic Oscars, I think the sound effect and sound mixing ones should go to Wall-E. SERIOUSLY, man, the sound put into that movie is AMAZING. I notice these things; I disliked Atonement, but loved the soundtrack and thought that deserved the Oscar it got (although all of last year's soundtracks were great, like 3:10 to Yuma, which was totally shunted elsewhere in its awesomeness). I'd make a guess right now that Horton Hears a Who! and Kung Fu Panda will attempt to rival Wall-E for the Best Animated Feature. With the abundance of superhero films this summer, I'm sure the special effects categories are well-covered.

But my opinions right now might change. It seems to me that Oscar contenders are going to come late in the year, considering what there is to work with thus far.

In other film news, I am looking forward to the Coen Brothers' new film, Burn After Reading. I remember seeing a preview at some point and wondered just how many Oscar-vets they were trying to fit into the movie, but it also looked funny. And, of course, I need to see about fifty other movies this year, surely. x)"

No comments:

Post a Comment