Thursday, July 9, 2009

Stealing From My Livejournal Part VII

As I use my livejournal for little else except for movie rants and decided to switch over here, I thought I'd recruit some older posts so as to show a history. I'll bother with new ones as they come to me.




From July 18, 2008:

"SO I saw The Dark Knight at midnight (closer to 12:30. Normally I love previews but a) IT WAS THE DARK KNIGHT and b) they were boring previews, except for the Watchmen preview... ooh shiny...) last night and the spoiler-free version of my reaction to the movie is pretty much incoherent babblings about how amazing the movie is and how absolutely freaking brilliant the Joker was.

Now for the spoilered version of my reaction...
*****
*****

I read in Entertainment Weekly as we were building up to the premiere about the Joker prancing around the street in a nurse's outfit. I read that, did a double-take, and then grinned wildly. The thing about the Dark Knight, the most surprising and fun thing, is that there is more to it than just in the preview, which is incredible because the preview is already so much. Don't get me wrong, there were things I didn't like so much, which I will get to, but overall, the movie was so incredibly GOOD. And as I will tell everyone and anyone for the rest of my life, Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker is, in my opinion, one of the best acting jobs ever performed. Fuck you, Academy, I don't care that he's dead, at this point in the game, Heath Ledger's performance has earned him the Best Supporting Actor fifty thousand times over. Jack Nicholson's Joker? Screw him, not nearly as brilliant.

See, when I first saw Joker on the screen, I was so excited, but because of the hype, just like everyone else. But by the second or third appearance on the screen, it wasn't about the hype anymore. I wanted to see him because he was so great to watch. The Joker is my favourite villain now, that perfect character that is performed so well and has the most simplistic motivations that make him all the more interesting. And the Batman/Joker relationship itself is just so magnificent and interesting... he's such a great archnemesis. And the script was so good, and I was so incredibly jealous of the writer, especially for the Joker's lines. He must have been such a great character to write.

As for other brilliant things, Christian Bale was, of course, great. He and Heath worked together so flawlessly in their scenes that I never wanted them to end. All of the acting was good, even the tiniest part in the movie was performed well. But I was so gleeful when Rachel Dawes was killed off. It's not that she was an annoying character yet, but that she would have become such a burden had she continued to be used. I am very glad that she's gone (not in the least because this could totally make room for Catwoman to waltz into the next movie, cough >.>).

Now... Harvy Dent. Aaron Eckhart did a very good job acting-wise, I thought. He wasn't the best performance on screen, of course, but he managed quite well against the brilliant performances left and right and did a good job himself. Unfortunately, it was his character that bugged me at times. Mostly, I'm just a bit upset at the sudden demise. I'm not sure how I could see it happening much differently, and he might not be dead, but regardless, it was a small bit of disappointment that I felt when he just came as a villain and went as a villain, especially since he had no time to shine in his own right with Joker being Joker left and right. Also, his face. The CGI was showing off a bit too much and it lost a sense of realism in the way his voice and eye were not affected by the major facial changes going on there. This notice I blame on Nicole, since she's the one that paid it attention, but regardless, I was expecting something closer to the Tommy Lee Jones' version in Batman Forever. It was more theatrical, but the face itself would be more tolerable to my tastes, at least. >.<


I've gotta go see it again sometime soon. :)"

No comments:

Post a Comment