Thursday, July 9, 2009

Stealing From My Livejournal Part XVIII

As I use my livejournal for little else except for movie rants and decided to switch over here, I thought I'd recruit some older posts so as to show a history. I'll bother with new ones as they come to me.



From December 31, 2008:

"I should have seen more movies when they were still out! Curse you, college! Curse you distance from theatres!

Films that have potential Oscar nods that I may not get the chance to see:
Vicky Cristina Barcelona (Penelope Cruz has been getting Support Actress nods)
Happy-Go-Lucky (Sally Hawkins has had a strong showing in Best Actress areas and it's a potential long shot for some other categories)
Changeling (if Angelina Jolie gets a nod here)
Frozen River (An indie with strong showing so potential nods)
Waltz with Bashir (Almost definitely the Persepolis of the Animated Feature category this year and possibly Foreign as well)

If Frozen River, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, or Changeling get nods I can still make a strong attempt to rent them before the Oscars (they all come out before the ceremony but after I go back to school), but I'm screwed with Happy-Go-Lucky. It just left the Spectrum and it doesn't come out until March. As for Waltz with Bashir, I have no idea when it's coming out, but it might show up at the Spectrum before the Oscars.

x.x

Shame on me.

Films that I still (might) need to see:
(rent)
Kung Fu Panda
The Duchess (Ralph Fiennes... I hate Keira Knightley, but I love Ralph Fiennes and he's potentially a nod either for this or The Reader)
Man on Wire
4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days

(theatre)
Frost/Nixon
Revolutionary Road
The Reader
The Wrestler
Gran Torino (I saw the preview and as much as hearing Clint Eastwood say "get off my lawn" to some kids, which made me LOL, that on top of the strong showing for the film and Clint Eastwood's general badassness concerning the film, I'm going to try for it)
Doubt
I've Loved You So Long
Australia (because you know, if nothing else, it's got a slot sewn up for it in set design)

-is sad-
I feel like I'm making progress with every movie I see but there are always dozens more I still want to watch!"

No comments:

Post a Comment