Thursday, July 9, 2009

Stealing From My Livejournal Part II

As I use my livejournal for little else except for movie rants and decided to switch over here, I thought I'd recruit some older posts so as to show a history. I'll bother with new ones as they come to me.



From January 29, 2008:

"Atonement - Man I hated Keira Knightley in that. I really did. I liked every actor in it except for her. She just bugged me and not only because she resembled some of those anorexic pictures you see on middle schooler's projects about eating disorders. The movie overall was good, but nothing that really made me think "man, this movie is awesome." It was, imo, a fairly typical class-issue love story with this gigantic obstacle that never gets solved. Oh boo hoo, yeah, it's depressing as fuckall, but that doesn't make a movie great.

No Country for Old Men - I definitely enjoyed this one. Though the plot is pretty much nothing like The Departed, I just kept thinking about it when I was watching it. Javier Bardem pretty much made my life with that role. He was incredibly amazing and deserves every award he's won for it. Yeah. I was expecting an ending like The Departed, ya know, with Mark Wahlberg just standing there in the plastic shoes and BAM. But because of my expectancy for a bam!ending, I zoned out on the real ending, where Tommy Lee Jones just talks about some dreams he's having. And when I heard Kelly Macdonald speak in that texan accent, I was like "WHOA, but you're all Scottish!" >.> I remember her more from Trainspotting and Gosford Park where she is all Scottish because, well, she is all Scottish. Shush.

There Will Be Blood - Oh Daniel Day-Lewis, you are awesome. And Paul Dano gets muchos kudos for believably portraying one of the most psychotic-acting characters I've seen in a while. I mean, it takes something to scream like a little girl on fire for a good half of your performance and not have it become 2D or over-the-top. So yeah, Paul Dano's character, Eli Sunday, omgcanipleasestabyou? Paul Dano, you are pretty damn awesome. Implied for Daniel Day-Lewis because I think it's pretty common knowledge that he's awesome. Overall the movie was quite good, though, I dunno, I felt the ending dragging just a little. Not so significantly that it suffered, but I was like "so... is this the last scene?" Either way, hehehe, the last scene is pretty amazing. xD

The only best picture contender (and best actor contender) I've yet to see now is Michael Clayton. At this moment in time, all I'm REALLY hoping for is Atonement losing, because of the four best picture nominees I've seen, it is the worst. It's not a bad movie, it just was not my favourite."

No comments:

Post a Comment