Friday, January 29, 2010

Spontaneous Longshot Love

Things I'm pulling for, or would pull for despite already deservedly crowded categories, that probably won't happen or are wobbling on the edge of possibility, AKA Some of My Favourite Longshots:

Sharlto Copley for Best Actor
Bright Star for Best Cinematography
Bright Star for Best Costume Design (its best chance, but even there it's a bit slim)
Anthony Mackie and Brian Geraghty for Best Supporting Actor
Alfred Molina for Best Supporting Actor
Neill Blomkamp for Best Director
District 9 for Best Picture
"Stu's Song" for Best Original Song
Michael Stuhlbarg for Best Actor
A Serious Man for Best Picture
ALL of the supporting cast from Precious (besides Mo'Nique, the lock)
Star Trek for Best Score
Matt Damon for Best Actor
Abbie Cornish for Best Actress
District 9 for Best Editing
Rosamund Pike for Best Supporting Actress
Both of the Inglourious Basterds ladies in whichever Actress category
Tom Ford for Best Director
A Single Man for Best Adapted Screenplay

And my number one ridiculous hope that I have no faith in happening:
Max Records for Best Actor - It's such a crowded category, as usual, but he was such an amazing and perfect presence in Where the Wild Things Are. He was the ideal child actor: talented and able to embody the spirit of childhood without ever for a second having us imagine that he's anything else but a flawed, real, fantastic character.

I'm sure I've forgotten a few, but that's where my head's at right now. I just saw District 9 for the second time tonight and was reminded just how amazing Sharlto Copley's performance was and how great the movie is overall. But really, without Sharlto Copley's excellent, well-rounded, and complex performance, the movie wouldn't be nearly the same. He's definitely my favourite longshot.

DGA tomorrow! I really hope the Director's Guild knows where it's at and gives Kathryn Bigelow her deserved award. And then the Oscar nominees are coming in on Tuesday... so soon! Jeezum crow, I hope there are a few spontaneous, awesome surprises. Like Sharlto Copley. I'll never give this doomed campaign up.

No comments:

Post a Comment